09 October 2014

What do wise men mean when they say...

'live for the day', 'live in the moment', or 'live one day at a time'?

Turning this around in my mind, and looking for answers, I came across this one-line, ancient Jewish prayer which immediately struck a chord deep inside me.

I thank You, living and eternal King, Who has returned my soul into me with compassion – great is Your faithfulness! 

This prayer, which thanks God for waking me up, clearly shows that I am given my soul in the morning through God's loving kindness and compassion. It is something I have to be grateful for. My waking up every morning is a miracle....

Now imagine we are also given a clean sheet of paper every morning. On it all that we do or say or feel or think gets drawn into designs. All that we are that day, gets filled in. The watermark on the paper gets the color and shades of our feelings. I feel that if somehow we force ourselves to be conscious of this (till it becomes ingrained) we'll be careful of what goes on that paper that we return to God every night when we go to sleep...

Chances are it will redesign our lives lifting us from the mundane to the holy, from the oblivious to the aware, from the taken-for-granted to the deeply conscious.

Hope this helps...